Saturday, August 25, 2012

Happy Flying

So, my daughter and I are getting ready to leave for a mini vacation tomorrow morning. We're heading down to Franklin TN, my home town, to make Ellie's debut and visit family and friends. This is Ellie's first time flying and I'm a little apprehensive about it. She is a beautiful baby, smart and full of personality, but she is also a fire cracker! Now, my son Riley is laid back and easy going... these two couldn't possibly be more different.

The first time Riley flew he was only three months old. All my friends had told me their horror stories of their first flights and I was really worried! I really didn't want to be "that" Mom on the plane that everyone avoided and glared at because my baby was screaming uncontrollably. But Riley was an angel! I carried him in a front carrier and he fell asleep while we made our way to the terminal. Then he proceeded to sleep through boarding, take off, and LANDING! It wasn't until I stood up to get off the plane that he woke up, and even then he was as cool as a cucumber.  Even now he is still good at flying, and I don't stress about it at all.

Now, I know a lot of our flying luck comes from Riley's personality. But I would also like to think that some of it has had to do with me. My Momma is an extremely knowledgeable woman, and she gives really great advice. I am proud to say that she is a huge reason as to why I am a confident Mother and have such a heart to work with children. Ever since I found out I was expecting our son, my Momma has given me this piece of advise... "Calm Moms have calm babies" and man, this has proved to be true. It simply means if you are worked up and nervous about a situation, your child will feel this vibe from you. Children are extremely intuitive and it doesn't take much for them to get out of whack because of the energy they are perceiving around them. Especially if you've already decided that your child is going to misbehave and that the situations is going to be an epic failure. So here are few tips I've gathered over the past 15 years of kiddo experience....

  • Stay calm and think positive
  • Have "high" age appropriate expectations: if your child is 2 don't expect them to act like a 5 year old, but also don't let them do as they please and blame it on the age old excuse "terrible twos!" 
  • Be prepared: if you're going to be at a place that requires your child to sit and be still for an extended period of time, bring back-up! Snacks, quiet toys, and things that will keep their attention. 
So tomorrow as we get up in the wee hours of the morning and make our way to the airport, I must remind myself to stay calm and that she's going to do great! And if things don't go as smoothly as I'd like, I'll have packed plenty of food and toys to entertain her till we land safely in Nashville. 

HAPPY FLYING! 

No comments:

Post a Comment